Frequently Asked Questions About Drunk Driving Defense

At my Sioux City law office, I often get questions about Iowa's drunk driving laws. Here are some of the most common questions. If you have questions of your own, please contact my office at 712-223-9621.

Do I Have to Submit to Field Sobriety Tests in Iowa?

There are many different types of field sobriety tests, including:

  • One-leg stand
  • Walk and turn
  • Horizontal gaze nystagmus (following the officer's finger with your eyes)
  • Preliminary breath screening test (PBT) (the handheld breath test)

Legally, you are not required to perform these tests. You have the legal right to decline any physical test you're asked to perform, even the eye test.

Are Breath Tests Accurate?

Breath tests are notoriously inaccurate. Just because the police have the DataMaster breath test result does not mean that they can be used against you in court. The breath test administrator may not have been professionally trained or qualified, the test may have been given incorrectly, or the machine may have been calibrated incorrectly.

What About Blood Tests?

Chemical tests (e.g., breath, blood or urine) are often conducted when police officers think that drivers are operating their vehicles while impaired. Under Iowa's implied consent law, the state believes that you have already consented to a chemical test (breath, blood or urine) as a condition of having a driver's license.

You have the right to refuse the test. Refusing a breath test, however, can leave open additional license revocation consequences.

Will I Face Jail Time?

People who are convicted for or plead guilty of DUI face mandatory minimum penalties, including jail time. Having prior convictions may result in additional jail time or even prison. At the Goodman Law Firm, L.L.C., I work hard to lower the consequences of OWI/DUI charges for my clients.

How Can I Save My Driver's License?

When you are arrested and charged with an OWI in Iowa, the Department of Transportation may automatically revoke your driving privileges. You may be able to appeal the revocation of your license by filing a written request for an appeal with the Department of Transportation, but the appeal is extremely time-sensitive. You must do it within a limited amount of time.

What Kind of Person Gets an OWI/DUI?

Drunk driving arrests can happen to anyone. My clients have included doctors and nurses, dentists, attorneys, factory workers, teachers, social workers and many more. I know that good people make mistakes—and good people are often falsely accused of driving under the influence.

At Goodman Law Firm, L.L.C., I offer non-judgmental representation. When you talk to me, you get someone who is 100% on your side and who will fight to defend you in Iowa courts.

Contact the Goodman Law Firm for a Confidential Consultation

Call the Goodman Law Firm today at 712-223-9621 or send me a message online to learn about your options and how I can help you minimize the personal and financial impact of an OWI/DUI arrest or criminal charge. All consultations are confidential. You have nothing to lose but your fear and uncertainty and everything to gain.